Category Archives: Local News

Please vote in the Local government Elections!

West Leederville Residents Association – Forthcoming Council Elections – 21st October, 2017

 

Dear Member,

With the forthcoming council elections looming it is important that we all take an interest in what our candidates stand for to ensure we elect  two strong new councillors to represent us in the Wembley Ward.

The attached website links from two of the Coast Ward candidates are referred for your information.

This will give you an idea of what our Wembley Ward Councillors will be up against if  these two join the Council after the election.

Kate McKerracher. Q&A an CWRA website

Ian Everett Q&A CWRA website

I have also attached (see pdf link below) a table of  4 questions recently put by the Cambridge Residents Association Inc to all candidates in the election, and their answers.  Unfortunately not all candidates have returned answers.

We hope that this will help you deciding which candidates to vote for in the election.

 

Kind regards

Henry Stawarz

Chair, West Leederville Residents Association

CRAi_Questions-2-Candidates_2017_pdf

 

WLRA welcomes new committee members!

Minutes of Committee Meeting  – Spring 2017

Date:                        Wednesday, 20th September, 2017

Time:                        7.00 pm to 9.00 pm

Place:                       Leederville Sporting Club, 78 Cambridge Street, West Leederville

___________________________________________________________________

Present:                  Henry Stawarz                      Chair                                          henry.stawarz@westnet.net.au

Andrew Thomson               Comm                                       andrew.thomson0604@gmail.com

Thomas Sedgman               Comm                                       t.sedgman@aapt.net.au

Kathy Sedgman                    Member                                   ksedgman@aapt.net.au

Sabrina Klinger                    Comm/Treas                          klingersb@yahoo.com.au

Anne Lake                                Past Pres                                  alake2@bigpond.com

Sue Taylor                               Past Comm/Sec                   sue@highway1.com.au

Apologies:             Mike Walter                           Comm                                       mikeandjan@ozemail.com.au

Jan Walter                              Comm

Noell Stawarz                        Comm                                       ducko@westnet.net.au

Minutes by           Henry Stawarz

__________________________________________________________________________

  1. Welcome & Introductions
    • All present were welcomed and each gave a brief overview of their background in discussion.                                                                                                                          Note
    • Outgoing Committee members Anne and Sue were thanked for their services to the WLRA over the many years of their involvement since 2005.              Note
  1. Association Housekeeping
    1. Allocation of Roles and duties for Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer.
      • Thomas Sedgman agreed to take the vice-chair role as and when req’d. Note
      • Sabrina has nominated for the treasurer role and has started work.              Note
      • Some of the previous tasks undertaken by the secretary have been accepted by other committee members but Sue agreed to stay on the committee in the interim and assist with the update and maintenance of the website until someone could be found to assist with this.                     Note
        • Committee members to canvas locals for someone to assist with this.        All
        • Issue of agendas and minutes – in the absence of a nominated new Secretary, the Chair will issue.                                                                                               HS/Ongoing
        • Maintenance of Membership list and office bearers and committee for communications. Sabrina offered to do this.                                                        SK/Ongoing
    2. Financials
      • A thumbdrive with historic background info provided by Sue to Sabrina.        Note
      • Sabrina will review and close out historic requirements in conjunction with Sue, as may be reqd to close out all necessary issues to current date to provide a clean slate baseline from which to move forward.                                                                                                   SK/04Oct
      • This should include closure of any bank accounts that are in the name of WLRA (as all past monies were in fact, a product of Community Garden activities only).                                                                         SK/ST
      • As the Community Garden has now been formally separated from the WLRA, and as the WLRA do not charge membership fees, ongoing financial obligations  should be minimal.                                          Note
      • This may include a followup meeting SK/ST/HS to discuss agree and close out any outstanding issues. Sabrina will coordinate.               SK
    3. Constitution and Rules – New Govt requirements
      • Statutory requirements, reporting etc
      • New model rules and requirements under the Associations Incorporation Act are being reviewed by Sabrina to determine updates required and ongoing statutory requirements.                              SK
      • Schedules of Actions will be prepared for committee review/action:
        • actions for the update of the WLRA Constitution and Rules,
        • ongoing Govt statutory reporting requirements for the committee to  adhere to.       SK
        • The Govt deadline for this to be completed is not until 2019. Note
    4. Website
      • All agreed that the website should be retained as a primary communication  tool with the public and WL community.                                                                                                          Note
      • However, the Website needs review and update and relevant parts (i.e. Vision and Mission and Objectives) should be considered for consistency with  Sabrina’s update of the WLRA constitution and rules referred to at 2.3 above.                                                                                                                                                             Note
        • Introduction – All to review and provide suggestions to Sue All/30 Sept
        • Forthcoming events – maintain currency with automatic dropoff when out of date.                                                                                                                          ST/Ongoing
        • Objectives (and Vision and Mission) – All to review in conjunction with Sabrina’s draft issue as part of the WLRA new draft rules and advise Sue.                                                                                                                                          All/30 Sept
        • Useful Contacts – Consensus was to delete these                                                 ST
        • Publications and Newsletters folder – These should be retained.                     ST
        • A useful publication to reference here or include is the West Leederville Activity Centre Plan 2011 which has now been approved as ToC Town Planning Scheme Amendment 27                                     ST
        • Surveys – Delete ST
        • Committee Resumes – need to be updated. All to provide short resumes as suggested by Sabrina and forward to Sue for inclusion.                                                                                                                     All/30 Sept
        • Contact Us – Retain introductory words ST
      • Current PO Box 1439 will be retained until it lapses in March 2018.          Note
        • The key was passed to Henry who will clear the box and return  the key when it lapses.                                                                                           HS/Mar18
        • Sue to notify AusPost of changed notification address to Henry’s email.                                                                                                                                ST
        • New Postal address for WLRA to be listed as Henry’s address :- see below.
      • Community Organisations
        • There was general consensus that we should reference websites, and promote as appropriate with a brief note, other community organisations incl:
          • Community Garden 1 – West Leederville,                                                                    ST
          • Community Garden 2 – Lake Monger                                                                              ST
          • Leederville Sporting Club – Henry to prepare a “Thank you for support” and promotional note for Sue to include.                                                                    HS
          • Wembley/West Leederville Residents Association ST
          • Cambridge Residents Association – HS to provide details HS
          • Coast Ward Ratepayers Association ST
          • Facebook Link
            • The current Facebook link has had some problems with some inappropriate comments posted in the past. As the link is not managed  there are some risks to the association in maintaining it.                                                                                                           Note
            • All agreed that incoming posting should be precluded and the link be converted to a link to our website only. Sue to action/notify if any problems.         ST
  2. Relationships with Others
    • ToC Mayor, Ward Councillors and Officers – Henry to progressively make contact and establish and maintain appropriate relationships with  these officers .                                                                                                                                                               HS/Ongoing
    • Other Associations
      • Wembley/West Leederville RA have approached Anne Lake and proposed an amalgamation with WLRA.                                                                 Note
        • Meeting to be arranged  with their reps (possibly initiated at the “Meet the Candidates” function)to explore synergies/advantages/disadvantages, for discussion with the Committee for a subsequent recommendation  to an AGM as may be appropriate. Henry and Sabrina to attend.                                           HS/SK
      • Cambridge Residents Association – Henry is a member and they are interested in  establishing a relationship on issues of common interest. HS to check out further.                                                     HS
      • Coast Ward Ratepayers Association – appear to be interested only in coast ward issues. No approaches made to date.                              Note
    • Associations on Line: WLRA are listed on this site.                                                                                           Anne to advise details and password.                                                                       AL
  3. Community Events
    1. The possibility of holding another event in Holyrood Park such as the “NYE in the Park” event held in the past was discussed. This was  a family event and ran between 6.30 and 10.00 pm.                                                                                            Note
    2. The ToC holds community events like this in the summer months and  it was agreed to explore if one of these ToC events could be again held in Holyrood Park on NYE. Thomas agreed to check out the possibility of this with appropriate people at the ToC.                                                                                                             TS
  4. Current Issues to Watch/Follow up  All have the potential to impact on WL residents and raise issues for action.                      Note
    1. Henry will follow up status/proposals on the following issues over the coming weeks.                                                                                                                                                            HS
    2. Forthcoming Council Election – October 21
    3. ToC LPS and TPS update processes   (Delayed till Nov17 for incoming council to consider)
    4. Subiaco Oval Development
    5. SJOG Subiaco Development
  5. Newsletters
    1. As a general rule we should aim to issue two general update newsletters to members per annum. Special events of course may warrant more.  There has not been a newsletter issued since November 2016.                                                    Note
    2. Henry will work on a newsletter as updates on items at 8 above are obtained.                  HS
  6. Ongoing Meetings
    1. Our  constitution currently says 4 per year (Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter). The proposed updated constitution suggests a minimum of 3.                                                 Note
    2. Regular Preset Dates  It was agreed that formal meetings be tentatively set at say the first Tuesday of the first month of each season  i.e.
      • 2017 Summer:   Tuesday, 5thth December, 2017 @ 7.00 pm
      • 2018 Autumn:   Tuesday, 6th March, 2018 @ 7.00 pm
      • Winter  :    Tuesday, 5th June, 2018 @ 7.00 pm
      • Spring   :    Tuesday, 4th September, 2018 @ 7.00 pm (AGM?) Note
      • All meetings will be subject to pre confirmation (or Cancellation) by email amongst ourselves  and the issue of a draft agenda 1 week before.                                  HS
    3. Venue Options
      1. Leederville Sporting Club – want to establish an ongoing relationship and all agreed we should support as a regular venue.                                Note
      2. Other Venues available if necessary:
        1. Holyrood Hall – Through Council – for smaller gatherings
        2. Town Hall – Through Council – for bigger community  meetings
        3. Church Hall – Woolwich St, Opposite WL PSch – Available through ST.    Note
  7. Next Full Committee Meeting (Unless otherwise advised)

Date:      Summer:   Tuesday, 5thth December, 2017 @ 7.00 pm

 

 

West Leederville Residents Association Inc

℅   9 Coldstream Street,

West Leederville, WA, 6007

Contact email address: henry.stawarz@westnet.net.au

 

Report on Compulsory Conference of SAT

On 19th July, George Davies attended and spoke to the SAT regarding the Georgiou development in Northwood Street, West Leederville. It borders residential zoning across a Residential Interface Node policy area.

Georgiou appealed for a second extension to the Joint Development Assessment Panel [JDAP] in May, this time for two years. Remarkably it was rejected. The Developer, as usual when failing at a JDAP, appealed to the State Administrative Tribunal [SAT].

Here is his report:         2017.07.19 SAT Presentation

I attended the SAT Directions Hearings re JDAP vs Georgiou on 9th and 30th June. Ben Secrett also attended on 9th June and reported to WLRA.

Both parties indicated they did not seek a Mediation.

Interestingly the SAT Member, Maurice Spillane, said he would schedule a Compulsory Conference nonetheless, to be held on 19th July, prior to any formal Hearing. Similar to a Mediation, not open to the public or third party.

He commented that he was aware of third party interest in the issue (meaning community), spotted my presence in the room on this second occasion and said that he would recommend I be given ten minutes at the beginning of the Compulsory Conference and then withdraw.

Ben Dickenson of the Post said the staff though this was worth featuring and arranged a photo for the 8 July edition.

I attended the Compulsory Conference on 19th July. The SAT Member presiding, Patrick De Villiers, was very welcoming and gave me a chat before the proceedings about the processes and indicated he would invite questions.

The presentation seemed to be well received. I have attached a copy for your information. Corinne MacRae offered help re the data and suggested the opening paragraph about the 26 home.

There were no questions so I then withdrew.

I attended the follow up Directions Hearings No.3 on Friday, 28th July. This took place before the original Member Maurice Spillane. The Georgiou lawyer said “the Compulsory Conference didn’t achieve the result the Applicant was seeking – we wish to go to a Hearing”. The JDAP lawyer said they would agree to a Hearing but did not intend to call a third party witness. Georgiou lawyer said that should the Hearing reject their application they would request a further two months window.

It was agreed that the Hearing be set for one day, viz. Wednesday 27th September. The hearing is open to the public.

2017 WLRA Annual General Meeting

The West Leederville Residents Association AGM was held on 20 July 2017

7:32 pm at 104 Woolwich St, West Leederville

  1. Welcome from the Chair.
    1. Anne Lake commenced the meeting by welcoming everyone, and introducing the existing committee: Anne Lake, Sue Taylor and Henry and Noell Stawarz.
    2. The West Leederville Community Garden is now incorporated separately from the WLRA to simplify the Treasurer’s role, and the procurement of Grants.
  2. Attendance: Sue Taylor, Sabrina Klinger, Andrew Thomson, Corinne MacRae, Jane Powell, Anne Lake, Tracey King, Peg Davies, George Davies, Liz Ferguson, Carole Duffill
  3. Apologies: Cr. Carr, Greg and Louise Toy and Brian Galton-Fenzi, Steven and Gillian Ingram, Melita Brown
  4. Minutes of Previous meeting were accepted – Moved: HS, Seconded: NS.
  5. New Business
    1. Local Planning Strategy. Many meetings have been held and attended, organised by the Town of Cambridge and by the local residents. The preferred scenario that was put to TOC last month was favourably reviewed by residents of West Leederville, although there was some resistance from the Coast Ward. Because of some delays, the LPS will be advertised in (about) February.
      1. (SK) Questions were raised about the infill targets, which are thought to be out of date by many residents. In particular, is it appropriate to be considering methods to meet these targets until they have been confirmed? Should we not also be considering the increased densities in our neighbouring suburbs (Subiaco Oval redevelopment may reach the regional targets without the need for further changes in Cambridge). (CM) In 2014, the TOC target was 5500, then in 2015 it was increased to 6900 in the Perth-Peel document. There are still questions about where these figures come from, and what the rationale is. The earlier target was arrived at after consultation with TOC and seemed reasonable. (SK) When the LPS options were developed, were they just a statistical analysis, or was there some critical thinking involved? What quality checks were performed? (TK) The Perth-Peel document did specify that development needs to be focussed around activity centres (shopping, transport etc), and these directions have been dictated to TOC. (AL) During the consultation period, the consultants were asked to explain how they developed the templates, how do they qualify the validity for each household’s response? (CM) The views of the West Leederville community were heard at the council workshop before it was presented at Council. (AL) George and Anne attended the JDAP meeting, and were amazed at the number of empty units in the development – they have not achieved 50% pre-sales. (GD) The JDAP voted against extending the time, Georgiou appealed. There is a further meeting on 28th July to decide whether there will be a formal hearing. Perhaps the financial standing of the developers should be considered in planning applications? But planning decisions are not economic or financial. As a community, however, the problem is bigger than planning: a half-finished project is still a burden borne by the community and the tax-payer. (HS) The LPS has become entangled in numbers, rather than setting a framework for growth in TOC. We need to base our scheme on robust planning, not numbers. (CM) The important thing is quality, rather than quantity: we need more of the missing middle-level accommodation (townhouses, villas). (AP) We need to focus on community building and housing options to augment that. We might benefit from more retail in our area. We need to refocus the debate to be on healthy communities, and on the diversity of accommodation required by people in different stages of life. (CM) Housing is only one component, but we need to also consider commercial and employment opportunities. (SK) We are a family suburb – young families, older people, young couples.
    2. Consideration of amalgamation with Wembley-West Leederville Ratepayers Association. WWLRA have approached us to be taken over by WLRA, as they have been unable to get anyone interested in engaging with the current issues. This needs to be more generally discussed than the current group, and so was raised for discussion rather than decision. There are some significant differences in our groups: we are deliberately for residents (rather than ratepayers), which is quite different. Corinne commented that WWLRA has contributed many good things to the community (including sausage sizzles and cleaning up Lake Monger).
  6. Reminder that we need people on the Committee who are not one-issue members. There are always many issues that come up – road safety, traffic concerns, building issues, park development, removal of mailboxes, the building up of community spirit. Although we all have pet issues, we need to be prepared to continue to engage after our single issue is resolved.
  7. Reports
    1. President – LPS and Community Garden. The Community Garden has been particularly successful in obtaining grants – new gates were installed and we are grateful to the Town of Cambridge for their help with several issues (not least dealing with the GST). We also have new signs. Bunnings have donated reusable bags, a new Members’ Manual, and a Children’s Activity Pack. Anne demonstrated the contents of the Children’s Pack. The Children’s Gardening Book has been developed, and is in high demand from other community gardens. The Open Day will be held in Spring. (PD) The WLRA started very actively because we were angry about traffic, but we got sick of being angry and started the community garden to grow community with a great deal of support from the TOC. (SK) Why not create an atmosphere for Diner En Blanc. Local Rogaining? New Years Music-fest (but not in the middle of summer?) (CM) Rotary might be happy to fund some of these things.
    2. Secretary and Treasurer Report
    3. Peg thanked Anne and Sue, and also Henry for all their work.
  8. Election of Office Bearers – Anne proposed that this be dealt with “out-of-session” as the meeting did not reach Quorum.
    1. Chair
    2. Secretary
    3. Treasurer (in name and paperwork only)
    4. General Committee Members (at least 5)
  9. New Business Arising
  10. Close Meeting

Information on the duties of the Committee:

Chairperson

  • It is the duty of the chairperson to consult with the secretary regarding the business to be conducted at each committee meeting and general meeting.
  • The chairperson has the powers and duties relating to convening and presiding at committee meetings and presiding at general meetings provided for in these rules.

Secretary

  • Dealing with the Association’s correspondence;
  • Consulting with the chairperson regarding the business to be conducted at each committee meeting and general meeting;
  • Preparing the notices required for meetings and for the business to be conducted at meetings;
  • Unless another member is authorised by the committee to do so, maintaining on behalf of the Association the register of members, and recording in the register any changes in the membership, as required under section 53(1) of the Act;
  • Maintaining on behalf of the Association an up-to-date copy of these rules, as required under section 35(1) of the Act;
  • Unless another member is authorised by the committee to do so, maintaining on behalf of the Association a record of committee members and other persons authorised to act on behalf of the Association, as required under section 58(2) of the Act;
  • Ensuring the safe custody of the books of the Association, other than the financial records, financial statements and financial reports, as applicable to the Association;
  • Maintaining full and accurate minutes of committee meetings and general meetings;
  • Carrying out any other duty given to the secretary under these rules or by the committee.

Guidance note – Record of Office Holders – detailed information about what must be included in the record of office holders is included under rule 68.

Treasurer

  • Ensuring that any amounts payable to the Association are collected and issuing receipts for those amounts in the Association’s name;
  • Ensuring that any amounts paid to the Association are credited to the appropriate account of the Association, as directed by the committee;
  • Ensuring that any payments to be made by the Association that have been authorised by the committee or at a general meeting are made on time;
  • Ensuring that the Association complies with the relevant requirements of Part 5 of the Act;
  • Ensuring the safe custody of the Association’s financial records, financial statements and financial reports, as applicable to the Association;
  • If the Association is a tier 1 association, coordinating the preparation of the Association’s financial statements before their submission to the Association’s annual general meeting;
  • If the Association is a tier 2 association or tier 3 association, coordinating the preparation of the Association’s financial report before its submission to the Association’s annual general meeting;
  • Providing any assistance required by an auditor or reviewer conducting an audit or review of the Association’s financial statements or financial report under Part 5 Division 5 of the Act;
  • Carrying out any other duty given to the treasurer under these rules or by the committee.

Request for Tender (RFT) LOCAL PLANNING STRATEGY (LPS)

This document outlines:

The Town of Cambridge is seeking Offers from Respondents to undertake the preparation of the Town’s Local Planning Strategy (LPS). The appointed consultant will be responsible for preparing the LPS including documentation for submission to the WAPC for consent to formally advertise the Strategy. The main requirements of the Respondent will be to:-

  •   Undertake research and analysis for topics including economic/commercial activity, population and housing, transport and infrastructure, open space and recreation and the natural and physical environment;
  •   Preparation of LPS documentation including all necessary mapping; and
  •   Undertake and facilitate stakeholder and community engagement to guide the preparation of the LPS.

    A more detailed statement of the services required under the proposed contract appears in the Specification. It is expected that the Consultant will provide the necessary services to meet the intent of the brief.

  • RFT – Local Planning Strategy (LPS)  The Tender document
  • DV16_58_-_Local_Planning_Strategy_Project_Plan

Meeting of West Leederville Residents at Leederville Town Hall

West Leederville Resident’s Association Inc

On Sunday, 02 April, 2017 at 2.30 – 4.30 pm

To discuss Town of Cambridge:

      Local Planning Strategy and Strategic Community Plan, and

–      Proposals for Further increasing Density in Residential West Leederville

Continue reading Meeting of West Leederville Residents at Leederville Town Hall

High rise to replace our leafy streets?

As many people were unaware of the previously scheduled opportunity to speak with the Consultants and to view the plans that detail the effect of the possible changes to the West Leederville – Wembley Local Planning Strategy and Strategic Community Plan, Council has scheduled an addition consultation day this Saturday at the Coles Shopping Centre on Cambridge Street.    The WLRA has arranged a residents meeting on the Sunday at 2.30 pm at the Leederville Town Hall just in front of the bowling Club.  Your local Councillors will be in attendance to answer any general questions you may have.

Why your attendance is important:  The likely changes to our neighbourhood may include 4-10 storey apartment and commercial development in quiet residential streets of West Leederville as far north as Ruislip St

Town of Cambridge has proposed 3 scenarios for planning change. All 3 plans significantly increase density across residential West Leederville.

All this while little/no increased density for City Beach and Floreat.

If you care about West Leederville, PLEASE urgently complete Council survey at http://yoursay.cambridge.wa.gov.au/cambridge2027  Deadline is 7 April 2017.

 

ð  Say all 3 scenarios are NOT ACCEPTABLE.

ð  West Leederville has already seen its recent fair share of density increases.

ð  West Leederville school and other amenities cannot accommodate further population increases

You can also voice your concerns by attending the Residents Information session  meeting on the 2nd of April or let us know your thoughts through the WLRA website wlra.org.au or contact your local Councillor to ensure your opinions count.

 

Don’t let our historic suburb become the
high density scapegoat for rest of Cambridge

Spring 2016 Newsletter

Newsletter Nov 2016

This newsletter has been prepared by the Cambridge Resident’s Association (CRAi) and West Leederville Resident’s Association (WLRA) from publicly available material. It is distributed to members and interested residents of the Town of Cambridge (ToC), including other associations within the town. We aim to increase the level of community discussion and involvement in the matters which are raised.

Disclaimer
While all care has been taken in preparing the newsletter, we accept no responsibility for actions that people may take as a result of any errors or omissions, or in respect to any representation, statement, opinion or advice referred to herein.

There have been many, often contentious planning issues affecting the Town in recent years and the following is an attempt clarify their status in a non- partisan manner.

1.0 Can Perry Lakes Be Saved?

Many Town of Cambridge residents remember when Perry Lakes had large areas of open water which attracted abundant wildlife. Despite Council efforts to maintain levels by pumping groundwater into the lakes, they are now being invaded be weeds and trees. In August 2016, CRAi held an evening of talks where the values of the lakes was discussed, along with a proposal to revive the lakes by adding treated wastewater in the south west of Perry Lakes Reserve to raise groundwater levels in East and West Lake, as well as in nearby Camel Lake.

The Town has allocated funds in 2016/17 to investigate this, and other options. Members of CRAi are working with the Town to identify cost-effective ways of reviving the lakes to their former glory. Any solution may benefit other suburban lakes in future as they are also impacted by the drying climate and pumping for irrigation. As well as Lake Monger inside the Town, the method could be used to save Lakes Jualbup, Claremont and Jolimont.
CRAi will keep you informed of progress.

2.0 Directions 2031 – Infill Housing Targets

In 2010 the State Government adopted “Directions 2031”, a strategic plan developed by the WA Planning Commission “to manage the growth of the Metropolitan Perth and Peel Region over the medium to long-term planning horizon to 2031 and beyond”. The plan was prepared to meet the projected population growth of Perth to 3.5 million people – whenever that will occur.
In May 2015, the State Government also released for comment “Perth and Peel@3.5million” draft plan. The final plan is expected to be released within the next few months.
These documents included setting targets for Local Authorities (and monitoring progress against these targets) to provide for an increased growth in the number of infill residential developed dwellings over this period. In the “Perth and Peel@3.5million” plan, for the ToC this target is 6900 new dwellings, approximately 5175 (75%) of which will be within “identified urban consolidation areas of activity centres, corridors and station precincts” and the remaining 1725 (25%) of new dwellings “in existing built up areas within traditional suburban streets”.
Development Assessment Panels (DAPs) were also established by the Government in 2011 to facilitate planning approvals and that would also support the achievement of these targets.

3.0 Higher Density Developments

At meetings between CRAi and the ToC CEO and Development Director over recent months, concerns were put that there is a community perception that developers have over the last 5 years taken advantage of discretionary powers from ToC and DAP Development Approvals within the ToC which have favoured their proposals over community concerns, and that developers appear to have achieved significant concessions to their proposal schemes due to a lack of definition of the existing Town Planning Scheme (TPS), policies and amendments.
This was acknowledged by the ToC and has been the subject of considerable discussion within Council planning meetings over 2015/16.
To address these concerns, and in conjunction with recent public controversy over Town Planning Scheme Amendment 31 (City Beach/Floreat Higher Density Infill Proposal) and Amendment 33 (Wembley Local Centre Rezoning Proposal), the ToC has committed to progress to finality the preparation of a Local Planning Strategy (LPS) for the Town, which was commenced in 2010.
This will include community engagement on what is to be included, and will then inform the updating of the TPS which will follow on. This will then hopefully bring better control over any development proposals that will follow.

4.0 ToC Local Planning Strategy (LPS) Community Stakeholder Engagement

The completion of the LPS is being progressed in parallel with the update of the ToC Strategic Community Plan (SCP) and community engagement on common issues will progress as part of the same process.
A budget has been allocated and consultants engaged to lead the Community Engagement process on a timeline that should see it completed by Mid 2017.
The timeline for the completion of the LPS, and signed off by the WAPC is mid – late 2018.
Residents wanting more information on these matters, including involvement in community engagement, should consult the Town’s website www.cambridge.wa.gov.au

4.0 ToC Strategic Planning

As mentioned above, the Town is also updating its Strategic Plan for the next 4 years which will cover issues such as:

  • Community Services,
  • Environment (water, power, waste etc);
  • Our Neighbourhoods (including planning and development –
    overlapping with the LPS);
  • Governance/Council (including financial management).
    Financial Management will include planning for:

    • Asset management and renewal,
    • Investment for future commitments,
    • Enhanced community facilities, and
    •  Managing the level of rates charged to ratepayers.

 

6.0 Locality Planning Studies

TPS Amendment 27 – The West Leederville Planning Study undertaken over 2010-12 was endorsed by the ToC in 2014 and signed off by the WAPC and Minister for Planning in May 2016.
The Wembley Activity Centre Plan has been developed and was open for public comment until 27 September, 2016. Committee members provided comments on this plan by the due date and feedback is in the process of being assessed to allow the formalisation of this plan to proceed.
Plans for Floreat, The Boulevard and Ocean Village will follow the direction of the LPS as it progresses.

7.0 Other Generic Studies

Other generic studies will also be picked up in conjunction with the LPS and take direction from concurrent community engagement. These include:

  • Transport and Parking,
  •  Housing Strategy,
  • Commercial, Economic and Employment Strategy,
  • Commercial Development Standards,
  • Public Open Space (Reserves, parks and playing fields),
  • Heritage Review/Register,
  • Public Art,
  • Other (Bulk & Height, Light and Ventilation Policies)

This approach is on the basis that the WAPC/DoP prefer a LPS to encompass these issues rather than have a multiplicity of separate non- integrated studies/policies etc.

8.0 TPS Amendment 31 – City Beach/Floreat Infill

On 5th September, 2016 the Minister for Planning formally rescinded the previous Minister’s imposed replacement for the original March 2015 Amendment 31.
At the September, 2016 Council meeting, the ToC approved a programme for the development of a new Amendment 31 for infill housing density in the western suburbs for advice to the Minister as per her request. This is to occur over the next 12 months in conjunction with the LPS (by approx mid-late 2017).

9.0 Transport @ 3.5 Million – Perth Transport Plan

The Department of Transport (DoT) long term draft transport plan for Perth to 2050, when Perth’s population was projected to reach 3.5 million, was recently out for public comment and proposes a long tunnel connecting Stock Road in the south to the Mitchell Freeway in the City of Stirling in the north:

  • Under the Swan River and Dalkieth,
  • Surfacing along Brockway Road, and then
  • Back under significant portions of the ToC area.

The ToC has reviewed the plan, considers it an aspirational plan, and has given qualified/conditional feedback on the plan to the DoT (refer Sept 16 Council meeting minutes).

10.0 City Beach High School

A recent Government announcement confirmed that a new state high school will be established at the original City Beach High School site, commencing with year 7s in existing buildings in 2020 and expanding to the full complement of 1600 year 7-12 by 2025.
This will include relocating and re-establishing the International and Japanese Schools at Doubleview and City Beach Primary Schools, and a total capital expenditure across the 3 sites of $182 million.

11.0 Subiaco Oval

Residents in West Leederville have a keen interest in what will happen to Subiaco Oval with the move of AFL to the new Stadium at Burswood and will no doubt monitor developments in this regard.
Subiaco CC is currently examining possible future uses and potential development options and have had some discussions with the ToC. The ToC and SCC have a good working relationship and will likely maintain an ongoing dialogue on issues of mutual interest.

12.0 Design of the Built Environment/Apartment Design Policy

“Design WA” is a collection of documents issued by the WAPC and
the Department for Planning and are currently out for public comment (closing 20 December, 2016).
These include the “Draft Design of the Built Environment Policy” and “Draft Apartment Design Policy” which include 10 design principles which should guide good design for all buildings, including apartments, and take into account the need for natural light, air flow, among many other issues.
Committee members have scanned these draft documents and it is considered they will improve the quality of apartment dwellings that will result, even though developers and their representative associations say that they will lead to increased cost of apartment construction.
Committee representatives consider the design guidelines should be supported and will be providing comment on them by the closing date.

13.0 Design Review Panel

In accordance with the principles of “Design WA”, the ToC has approved the establishment of a Design Review Panel and process in July 2016, as recommended for all councils by the WAPC.
Nominations for the panel are expected to be advertised before Christmas 2016 after which the process will be available for proponents of developments to consult prior to development applications being made on future projects in the Town of Cambridge.

—————————————————————————-

WLRA Spring Newsletter

West Leederville Residents Association Spring News Letter

Local Elections

It’s that time of the local government electoral cycle when we are asked to caste a postal vote for our grass roots representation. These elections have proved to be controversial but all will be for nothing if votes are not cast. Much has happened in West Leederville over the previous 5 years and your Association asks you to give thought to participating in this postal vote. As of yesterday (with one week to go) only 13.9% of the Wembley Ward votes had been returned. We need our local government to be sensitive to both the quality of life and the resources we enjoy in our ward. Let’s ensure we hold our Councillors accountable and the only way we can do that is by casting a vote for the representatives who understand our needs and will ensure that the Wembley Ward is not put at the bottom of the resources list. More information can be found at the Town’s website:
http://www.cambridge.wa.gov.au/Council/Your_Council/Council_Elections

Departing Councillors

The Association would also like to pass on our gratitude to departing Councillor Alan Langer for his tireless service to the community. Alan has always been ready to attend our meetings and assist where every possible. Thank you, Alan: you have helped resolve many an issue and represented us fairly in Council. We hope you enjoy this next journey you are about to embark on.

Summer of Fun

The Town has recently delivered to letterboxes its Summer of Fun Events Guide for 2015-16, if you haven’t received one give the Council a call, or follow this link:
http://www.cambridge.wa.gov.au/Council/Corporate_Documents/Summer_of_Fun_Events_Guide
The program is full of events for all ages and the next big event is the Lake Monger Markets to be held between 8 am – 1 pm on Saturday 24 October 2015. It was a great success last year so it’s looking to be even better this year.

Community Garden

At long last the Community Garden is about to take delivery of its new feature gates which came about by courtesy of the Town of Cambridge and LotteryWest. You will also notice that the Town has replaced the old fencing that previously encased the garden. So in November please come and visit us and have a look at not only our gates but also our gardens and meet the wonderful gardeners ready to welcome you at any time they are in attendance. The community garden has its own website at http://www.wlra.org.au/?page_id=36

Community Issues
If there is anything the West Leederville Residents Association can assist with please do not hesitate to contact us our website is http://www.wlra.org.au

Anne Lake
Chair