WLRA welcomes new committee members!

Minutes of Committee Meeting  – Spring 2017

Date:                        Wednesday, 20th September, 2017

Time:                        7.00 pm to 9.00 pm

Place:                       Leederville Sporting Club, 78 Cambridge Street, West Leederville

___________________________________________________________________

Present:                  Henry Stawarz                      Chair                                          henry.stawarz@westnet.net.au

Andrew Thomson               Comm                                       andrew.thomson0604@gmail.com

Thomas Sedgman               Comm                                       t.sedgman@aapt.net.au

Kathy Sedgman                    Member                                   ksedgman@aapt.net.au

Sabrina Klinger                    Comm/Treas                          klingersb@yahoo.com.au

Anne Lake                                Past Pres                                  alake2@bigpond.com

Sue Taylor                               Past Comm/Sec                   sue@highway1.com.au

Apologies:             Mike Walter                           Comm                                       mikeandjan@ozemail.com.au

Jan Walter                              Comm

Noell Stawarz                        Comm                                       ducko@westnet.net.au

Minutes by           Henry Stawarz

__________________________________________________________________________

  1. Welcome & Introductions
    • All present were welcomed and each gave a brief overview of their background in discussion.                                                                                                                          Note
    • Outgoing Committee members Anne and Sue were thanked for their services to the WLRA over the many years of their involvement since 2005.              Note
  1. Association Housekeeping
    1. Allocation of Roles and duties for Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer.
      • Thomas Sedgman agreed to take the vice-chair role as and when req’d. Note
      • Sabrina has nominated for the treasurer role and has started work.              Note
      • Some of the previous tasks undertaken by the secretary have been accepted by other committee members but Sue agreed to stay on the committee in the interim and assist with the update and maintenance of the website until someone could be found to assist with this.                     Note
        • Committee members to canvas locals for someone to assist with this.        All
        • Issue of agendas and minutes – in the absence of a nominated new Secretary, the Chair will issue.                                                                                               HS/Ongoing
        • Maintenance of Membership list and office bearers and committee for communications. Sabrina offered to do this.                                                        SK/Ongoing
    2. Financials
      • A thumbdrive with historic background info provided by Sue to Sabrina.        Note
      • Sabrina will review and close out historic requirements in conjunction with Sue, as may be reqd to close out all necessary issues to current date to provide a clean slate baseline from which to move forward.                                                                                                   SK/04Oct
      • This should include closure of any bank accounts that are in the name of WLRA (as all past monies were in fact, a product of Community Garden activities only).                                                                         SK/ST
      • As the Community Garden has now been formally separated from the WLRA, and as the WLRA do not charge membership fees, ongoing financial obligations  should be minimal.                                          Note
      • This may include a followup meeting SK/ST/HS to discuss agree and close out any outstanding issues. Sabrina will coordinate.               SK
    3. Constitution and Rules – New Govt requirements
      • Statutory requirements, reporting etc
      • New model rules and requirements under the Associations Incorporation Act are being reviewed by Sabrina to determine updates required and ongoing statutory requirements.                              SK
      • Schedules of Actions will be prepared for committee review/action:
        • actions for the update of the WLRA Constitution and Rules,
        • ongoing Govt statutory reporting requirements for the committee to  adhere to.       SK
        • The Govt deadline for this to be completed is not until 2019. Note
    4. Website
      • All agreed that the website should be retained as a primary communication  tool with the public and WL community.                                                                                                          Note
      • However, the Website needs review and update and relevant parts (i.e. Vision and Mission and Objectives) should be considered for consistency with  Sabrina’s update of the WLRA constitution and rules referred to at 2.3 above.                                                                                                                                                             Note
        • Introduction – All to review and provide suggestions to Sue All/30 Sept
        • Forthcoming events – maintain currency with automatic dropoff when out of date.                                                                                                                          ST/Ongoing
        • Objectives (and Vision and Mission) – All to review in conjunction with Sabrina’s draft issue as part of the WLRA new draft rules and advise Sue.                                                                                                                                          All/30 Sept
        • Useful Contacts – Consensus was to delete these                                                 ST
        • Publications and Newsletters folder – These should be retained.                     ST
        • A useful publication to reference here or include is the West Leederville Activity Centre Plan 2011 which has now been approved as ToC Town Planning Scheme Amendment 27                                     ST
        • Surveys – Delete ST
        • Committee Resumes – need to be updated. All to provide short resumes as suggested by Sabrina and forward to Sue for inclusion.                                                                                                                     All/30 Sept
        • Contact Us – Retain introductory words ST
      • Current PO Box 1439 will be retained until it lapses in March 2018.          Note
        • The key was passed to Henry who will clear the box and return  the key when it lapses.                                                                                           HS/Mar18
        • Sue to notify AusPost of changed notification address to Henry’s email.                                                                                                                                ST
        • New Postal address for WLRA to be listed as Henry’s address :- see below.
      • Community Organisations
        • There was general consensus that we should reference websites, and promote as appropriate with a brief note, other community organisations incl:
          • Community Garden 1 – West Leederville,                                                                    ST
          • Community Garden 2 – Lake Monger                                                                              ST
          • Leederville Sporting Club – Henry to prepare a “Thank you for support” and promotional note for Sue to include.                                                                    HS
          • Wembley/West Leederville Residents Association ST
          • Cambridge Residents Association – HS to provide details HS
          • Coast Ward Ratepayers Association ST
          • Facebook Link
            • The current Facebook link has had some problems with some inappropriate comments posted in the past. As the link is not managed  there are some risks to the association in maintaining it.                                                                                                           Note
            • All agreed that incoming posting should be precluded and the link be converted to a link to our website only. Sue to action/notify if any problems.         ST
  2. Relationships with Others
    • ToC Mayor, Ward Councillors and Officers – Henry to progressively make contact and establish and maintain appropriate relationships with  these officers .                                                                                                                                                               HS/Ongoing
    • Other Associations
      • Wembley/West Leederville RA have approached Anne Lake and proposed an amalgamation with WLRA.                                                                 Note
        • Meeting to be arranged  with their reps (possibly initiated at the “Meet the Candidates” function)to explore synergies/advantages/disadvantages, for discussion with the Committee for a subsequent recommendation  to an AGM as may be appropriate. Henry and Sabrina to attend.                                           HS/SK
      • Cambridge Residents Association – Henry is a member and they are interested in  establishing a relationship on issues of common interest. HS to check out further.                                                     HS
      • Coast Ward Ratepayers Association – appear to be interested only in coast ward issues. No approaches made to date.                              Note
    • Associations on Line: WLRA are listed on this site.                                                                                           Anne to advise details and password.                                                                       AL
  3. Community Events
    1. The possibility of holding another event in Holyrood Park such as the “NYE in the Park” event held in the past was discussed. This was  a family event and ran between 6.30 and 10.00 pm.                                                                                            Note
    2. The ToC holds community events like this in the summer months and  it was agreed to explore if one of these ToC events could be again held in Holyrood Park on NYE. Thomas agreed to check out the possibility of this with appropriate people at the ToC.                                                                                                             TS
  4. Current Issues to Watch/Follow up  All have the potential to impact on WL residents and raise issues for action.                      Note
    1. Henry will follow up status/proposals on the following issues over the coming weeks.                                                                                                                                                            HS
    2. Forthcoming Council Election – October 21
    3. ToC LPS and TPS update processes   (Delayed till Nov17 for incoming council to consider)
    4. Subiaco Oval Development
    5. SJOG Subiaco Development
  5. Newsletters
    1. As a general rule we should aim to issue two general update newsletters to members per annum. Special events of course may warrant more.  There has not been a newsletter issued since November 2016.                                                    Note
    2. Henry will work on a newsletter as updates on items at 8 above are obtained.                  HS
  6. Ongoing Meetings
    1. Our  constitution currently says 4 per year (Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter). The proposed updated constitution suggests a minimum of 3.                                                 Note
    2. Regular Preset Dates  It was agreed that formal meetings be tentatively set at say the first Tuesday of the first month of each season  i.e.
      • 2017 Summer:   Tuesday, 5thth December, 2017 @ 7.00 pm
      • 2018 Autumn:   Tuesday, 6th March, 2018 @ 7.00 pm
      • Winter  :    Tuesday, 5th June, 2018 @ 7.00 pm
      • Spring   :    Tuesday, 4th September, 2018 @ 7.00 pm (AGM?) Note
      • All meetings will be subject to pre confirmation (or Cancellation) by email amongst ourselves  and the issue of a draft agenda 1 week before.                                  HS
    3. Venue Options
      1. Leederville Sporting Club – want to establish an ongoing relationship and all agreed we should support as a regular venue.                                Note
      2. Other Venues available if necessary:
        1. Holyrood Hall – Through Council – for smaller gatherings
        2. Town Hall – Through Council – for bigger community  meetings
        3. Church Hall – Woolwich St, Opposite WL PSch – Available through ST.    Note
  7. Next Full Committee Meeting (Unless otherwise advised)

Date:      Summer:   Tuesday, 5thth December, 2017 @ 7.00 pm

 

 

West Leederville Residents Association Inc

℅   9 Coldstream Street,

West Leederville, WA, 6007

Contact email address: henry.stawarz@westnet.net.au

 

Report on Compulsory Conference of SAT

On 19th July, George Davies attended and spoke to the SAT regarding the Georgiou development in Northwood Street, West Leederville. It borders residential zoning across a Residential Interface Node policy area.

Georgiou appealed for a second extension to the Joint Development Assessment Panel [JDAP] in May, this time for two years. Remarkably it was rejected. The Developer, as usual when failing at a JDAP, appealed to the State Administrative Tribunal [SAT].

Here is his report:         2017.07.19 SAT Presentation

I attended the SAT Directions Hearings re JDAP vs Georgiou on 9th and 30th June. Ben Secrett also attended on 9th June and reported to WLRA.

Both parties indicated they did not seek a Mediation.

Interestingly the SAT Member, Maurice Spillane, said he would schedule a Compulsory Conference nonetheless, to be held on 19th July, prior to any formal Hearing. Similar to a Mediation, not open to the public or third party.

He commented that he was aware of third party interest in the issue (meaning community), spotted my presence in the room on this second occasion and said that he would recommend I be given ten minutes at the beginning of the Compulsory Conference and then withdraw.

Ben Dickenson of the Post said the staff though this was worth featuring and arranged a photo for the 8 July edition.

I attended the Compulsory Conference on 19th July. The SAT Member presiding, Patrick De Villiers, was very welcoming and gave me a chat before the proceedings about the processes and indicated he would invite questions.

The presentation seemed to be well received. I have attached a copy for your information. Corinne MacRae offered help re the data and suggested the opening paragraph about the 26 home.

There were no questions so I then withdrew.

I attended the follow up Directions Hearings No.3 on Friday, 28th July. This took place before the original Member Maurice Spillane. The Georgiou lawyer said “the Compulsory Conference didn’t achieve the result the Applicant was seeking – we wish to go to a Hearing”. The JDAP lawyer said they would agree to a Hearing but did not intend to call a third party witness. Georgiou lawyer said that should the Hearing reject their application they would request a further two months window.

It was agreed that the Hearing be set for one day, viz. Wednesday 27th September. The hearing is open to the public.